Its sewing shorts season here. I've been sewing shorts for my daughter, who it turns out actually has no summer clothes! When I went to pull out the Spring/Summer clothes for the kids there was no stash for my daughter. She had a skort from Children's place and a couple of dresses that she won't wear. Because we did have a weird hot spell, I bought her some short sleeves shirts and shorts at the local thrift store. Still I knew she'd need a few more.
I started with the Scientific Seamstress Skirt & Skort pattern. I was wanting to copy the Children's place skort that they no longer sell. Hanna Anderson one for $36. Even though the SS pattern is for wovens I decided the style would be okay in a stable knit. I wasn't sure about sizing down. I did not. I might take some width out but really the elastic holds them up and my daughter finds them really comfortable.
The first I made from an up cycled woman's t-shirt and some minky in my stash. It was intended as a wearable muslin. She's worn this one several times since it was made.
The second one is more like the inspiration. This skort was made from french terry in my stash. The top is Jalie 3245.
After that I wanted to put together some quick and dirty shorts and tee sets for her. I went with my old stand-by Ottobre for the t-shirts. These are all modified versions of the standard tee in Ottobre 4/04. The shorts took a little more thought as I didn't want to spend too much time fitting. I ended up going with the shorts from the Modkid Zoey pattern. The pattern is super cute, I made my daughter a darling set last year during their sew along. I didn't have time for the whole set but the shorts were perfect for my purpose here.