I had this vision of this cute knit tunic with a light flowy gathered back. I'd seen woven versions of what I wanted so I figured I'd try it. Well we all have to have some fails, right?
I started by going down 2 sizes- this was arbitrary as I just chose 2 sizes since I already had the Large printed, cut and taped. I narrowed the back a little as I wanted it more t-shirt fitting- here's where things went wrong. I should have pulled out a t-shirt pattern before cutting the fabric as I only had enough to cut once.
I basted everything, except the sleeves together to see how it fit. Well the back was too narrow.
At this point, I pulled out the t-shirt pattern and realized it was just not going to work. I decided to try something different to add width-
I didn't like how this looked on. I went ahead and added a rectangular strip to the back in order to widen in and sewed up the top with the original straight across gathering. I then tried it on and it was awful! I'll try to work up the courage to take a picture to share later.
I still wanted to submit an entry so on to take 2.
Again I went with a knit, this time a slinky sweater knit. That really would not be my first choice for this pattern but it actually fits fairly well. I fixed the back before cutting this one.
So, I looked at the tunic and decided I'd made a boring black tunic sweater. I didn't necessary want to jazz it up with color as I have no problem with black but I wanted something to make it more "date night."
I decided to make the collar in suede and reshape it just a little bit.
Turns out though my machine just did not like sewing this so it was giving me tons of fits. I used a leather needle and had it on the leather setting but still it was just not happening. I did manage to get it on the tunic but now need to go back and hand stitch it down.
I used my serger to add sleeve cuffs.
I'm not in love but if I ever finish it, I'm sure it will get worn. I need to stitch down the collar and do the hem. Sometimes sewing is not all that fun.